Peer-reviewed journal articles
1. Lauck, S.; Saarijärvi, M.; De Sousa, I.; Straiton, N.; Borregaard, B. & Lewis, K. (2023) Accelerating knowledge translation to improve cardiovascular outcomes and health services: Opportunities for bridging science and clinical practice. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. zvad077. DOI: 10.1093/eurjcn/zvad077
2. Dillard-Wright, J.; Valderama-Wallace, C.; Canty, L.; Perron, A.; De Sousa, I. & Gullick, J. (2023) What nursing chooses not to know: Practices of epistemic silence/silencing. Nursing Philosophy. e12443. DOI: 10.1111/nup.12443
3. De Sousa, I.; Miller, E.; Joshua, B.; Adams, J.; & Moorley, C. (2023) Insights on guest editorship for doctoral students and early-career researchers. Nurse Education Today. DOI: 10.1016/j.nedt.2023.105804
4. De Sousa, I., Wytenbroek, L., Boschma, G., & Thorne, S. (2023) “Reflections on Black nurses’ invisibility: Exploring the contribution of Black nurses to British Columbia (Canada), 1845 – 1910. Advances in Nursing Science. DOI: 10.1097/ANS.0000000000000484
5. De Sousa, I., Varcoe, C. (2021). “Centering Black feminist thought in nursing praxis”. Nursing Inquiry, 29, e12473. DOI: 10.1111/nin.12473
6. Crosschild, C., Huynh, N., De Sousa, I., Bawafaa, E., & Brown, H. (2021) “Where is critical analysis of power and positionality in knowledge translation?”. Health Research Policy and Systems Journal, 19(92). DOI: 10.1186/s12961-021-00726-w
7. Lauck, S., Lewis, K., Borregaard, B., & De Sousa, I. (2021) “What is the right decision for me?” Integrating patient perspectives through shared decision-making for valvular heart disease therapy. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 37(7), 1054–1063. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjca.2021.02.022.
8. De Sousa, I. & Woodward, S. (2016). The Glasgow Coma Scale in adults: Doing it right. Emergency Nurse, 24, 33-39. DOI: 10.7748/en.2016.e1638.
9. De Sousa, I. (2016). Thrombectomy in acute ischaemic stroke and the implications for nursing practice. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 12. S28-S31. DOI: 10.12968/bjnn.2016.12.Sup5.S28.
10. De Sousa, I. (2016). Developing an outpatient nurse-led stroke clinic in hospital: part 2. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing,12, 75-79. DOI: 10.12968/bjnn.2016.12.2.75.
11. De Sousa, I. (2016). Developing an outpatient nurse-led stroke clinic in hospital: Part 1. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 12. 10.12968/bjnn.2016.12.1.10.
12. De Sousa, I. (2012). Steps toward change: foot care in the stroke patient with diabetes. British Journal of Neuroscience nursing, 8. 10.12968/bjnn.2012.8.6.327.
Browne, A.J.; Varcoe, C.; Wytenbroek, L.; De Sousa, I. & Crosschild, C. (2023). Using philosophical inquiry to dismantle dominant thinking in nursing about race and racism. In M. Lipscomb (Ed.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy and Nursing. London, UK: Routledge
1. Lauck, S.; Lewis, K.; Turgeon, R.; Wells, J.; Wijeysundera, H.; De Sousa, I.; Adhami, N.; Stacey, D. & Webb, J. (2023). Shared decision-making for the treatment of aortic stenosis (SEEK-AS): rationale and study design of the implementation of a patient decision aid to facilitate a high-quality treatment decision. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 22(Suppl 1). https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjcn/zvad064.089
2. Lauck, S.; Borregaard, B.; Lewis, K. & De Sousa, I. (2021). Implementation of shared decision-making for aortic stenosis: Development of a patient decision aid. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 20(Suppl 1). https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjcn/zvab060.027
3. Huang, V.; Marais, O.; De Sousa, I. & Field, T. (2021) Interviews with young stroke survivors to inform better care. International Journal of Stroke. 16(Suppl 2). https://doi.org/10.1177/17474930211041949
4. Gill, C.; De Sousa, I. & Bailey, A. (2019). The challenges and successes of mechanical thrombectomy implementation for nurses in the United Kingdom. Stroke. https://doi.org/10.1161/str.50.suppl_1.TP455
5. Jensch, G.; De Sousa, I. & Hart, A. (2017) Abstract 134: How are you feeling? – a campaign to encourage staff to ask patients about their emotional wellbeing. International Journal of Stroke, 12(5_suppl), 7–59. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747493017732216
6. De Sousa, I.; Crow, J. & Penny, L. (2017) Abstract 118: Can tailored secondary stroke prevention provided by the stroke specialist nurse be enhanced by occupational therapists and physiotherapists and incorporated in therapy sessions?. International Journal of Stroke, 12(5_suppl), 7–59. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747493017732216
1. Wytenbroek, L., De Sousa, I., Hussein, T., Nguyen, K., Chiao, A. T.-H., Moeller, B., & Moffatt, M. (2022, February 28). Black History Month 2022 : Celebrating the contributions of Black nurses to healthcare. http://dx.doi.org/10.14288/1.0421283
2. Flynn, K., De Sousa, I., Dordunoo, D. & Wytenbroek, L. (2021, February 25) Black (in)Visibility: Black nurses in Canada who paved the way. https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/historyofnursinginpacificcanada/46624/items/1.0398203
3. Dordunoo, D., De Sousa, I., Bawafaa, E. & Ojerinde, C. (2020) The Decade for People of African Descent. Issues Summary Nurse and Nurse Practitioners of British Columbia. https://www.nnpbc.com/pdfs/policy-and-advocacy/issues/IB-Decade-for-People-of-African-Descent.pdf
4. De Sousa, I. & Bawafaa, E. (2020). Black History Month: A recognition of black nurses’ contributions to healthcare in Canada and the world. https://gradnursing.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2020/02/Black-History-Month.pdf
5. De Sousa, I. (2017) Keep up to date with the huge improvements in stroke treatment. Nursing Standard. https://rcni.com/nursing-standard/opinion/comment/ismalia-de-sousa-keep-to-date-huge-improvements-stroke-treatment-119716
6. De Sousa, I. (2016). O papel do enfermeiro especialista em AVC num hospital de Londres: uma realidade distante ou proxima da portuguesa?. Nursing Portugal.https://www.nursing.pt/o-papel-do-enfermeiro-especialista-em-avc-num-hospital-de-londres-uma-realidade-distante-ou-proxima-da-portuguesa/
1. De Sousa, I. (2020). An anti-racist and anti-discriminatory intersectional tool for nursing. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 16(Sup5), p.S3-S5. doi.org/10.12968/bjnn.2020.16.Sup5.S3
2. De Sousa, I. (2019). Annual Imperial Thrombectomy Symposium: a review. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 15(Suppl 5), S26. 10.12968/bjnn.2019.15.Sup5.S26
3. De Sousa, I. (2018). These are exciting times in stroke care. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 14. S3-S3. 10.12968/bjnn.2018.14.Sup2.S3.
4. De Sousa, I. (2018). UK Stroke Forum Conference 2017. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 14. S20-S21. 10.12968/bjnn.2018.14.Sup2.S20.
5. De Sousa, I. (2017). The loss of EU nurses has huge implications for patients and the NHS. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 13. 158-158. 10.12968/bjnn.2017.13.4.158.
6. De Sousa, I. (2016). European Stroke Conference 2016: have we forgotten the ‘old kid’?. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 12. S32-S32. 10.12968/bjnn.2016.12.Sup5.S32.
7. De Sousa, I. (2015). How well are we performing? An update on the quality of stroke care. British Journal of Neuroscience nursing. 11. 294 – 295. 10.12968/bjnn.2015.11.6.294.